Mon, 15 Jul, 2019

Major fire engulfs shop at Aquem, 2 others damaged

12th July 2019, 02:38 Hrs

the goan I network

MARGAO

A major fire gutted a shop housing mattresses  and plastic items such as chairs at Aquem on Thursday evening,  destroying property worth lakhs of rupees.

Two adjoining shops and the premises located on the first floor of the building were also damaged in the incident.

Irate  residents directed their ire at the Divisional Officer Nitin Raikar  over the delay by the fire brigade to reach the spot. They also  questioned Raikar over the delay in the turn out of the fire tenders  after refilling. When Raikar was trying to leave the spot, the residents  stopped him, demanding his presence at the site and asking him to call  the fire tenders over the phone.

A total of seven fire tenders  were pressed into service in the fire fighting operation that lasted  more than two hours. Fire tenders from Curchorem, Verna and Ponda were  requisitioned as the fire threatened to engulf the entire building.

Fire  officer Gill De Souza told The Goan that though the owner Arun  Prabhakar Desai is yet to assess the loss, it is estimated that property  worth lakhs of rupees, in the region of Rs 9-10 lakh have been gutted  in the fire.

Replying to a question, Gill said the owner spotted  smoke billowing from the shop and immediately raised an alarm. “The  Margao fire brigade received a call at around 5.50 pm on Thursday. As  the fire threatened to go out of control, we immediately requisitioned  the services of the fire tenders from Ponda, Verna and Curchorem as a  precautionary measure,” he said, adding that a total of seven tenders  were pressed into service to bring the fire under control after an  operation that last over two hours.

The fire officer said the  window panes of the premises located on the first floor of the building  were damaged in the inferno. Besides, he said the compressor of the air  conditioner installed in an adjoining restaurant was also damaged.

To a question, he suspected short circuit as the cause behind the major fire. 

Further investigations are in progress.


Fire destroys Aldona house; `15L property damage estimated

MAPUSA: Property estimated at Rs 15 lakh was destroyed after a house at Carona in Aldona caught fire early Thursday morning.  The fire started at around 8.30 am at Mudda-Vaddo near Carona junction.  
On receiving information, a fire tender from Mapusa Fire Station rushed to the site and with the help of locals managed to douse the flames, saving property of around Rs 5 lakh, fire official informed.  The house owner, John D’Cunha, said a short circuit triggered the fire which spread quickly and destroyed several business items and furniture in the house.
Mapusa Fire Station in-charge Bosco Ferrao said a fire brigade could not go to the house due to the narrow road.“We managed to save the house with the help of local people and drawing water from the well,” Ferrao said.  
According to the owner, a major damage was caused to the roof of the house besides his business articles like musical and decorative items were also destroyed in the fire.  
“The owner is saying the fire is due to short circuit. But we will be writing to the electrical department to probe the cause of fire,” the fire station in-charge said.  Further investigation is on.