Sat, 23 Mar, 2019

Late Dudu strike knocks Gaurs out of Super Cup

17th April 2018, 03:33 Hrs



A makeshift FC Goa side went down to East Bengal 1-0 in a tough encounter at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar in the first-semi-final of the Super Cup. 

Both sides created a number of chances during the game, but it was former Gaur Dudu Omagbemi who scored the game’s only goal deep into the second half, in the 78th minute. Katsumi Yusa and Mahmoud Al Amna had a few chances for the Bengal side but Laxmikant Kattimani had an astounding day and kept them at bay for long periods. 

For the Gaurs, Amey Ranawade, Mandar Rao Dessai, Manvir Singh and Ferran Corominas came close, with the Spanish striker even striking the post from a free-kick. However, a second half red card for Edu Bedia settled things in favour of East Bengal who progress to the finals and will face off against either Bengaluru FC or 

Mohun Bagan.  

The Kolkata side’s coach Khalid Jamil went in with a 4-5-1 combination with Dudu the lone striker upfront and Ugandan Khalid Aucho getting his first start in midfield. FC Goa’s coach Derick Pereira fielded a 4-4-2 with Manvir Singh partnering Spaniard Ferran Corominas (Coro) in attack. 

It was a scrappy first-half which ended goalless. East Bengal had the better chances with Syrian midfielder Mahmoud Al Amna missing the first real chance in the 19th minute, when he failed to tap in a cross from inside the box by Japanese midfielder Katsumi Yusa.

Dudu broke free from an Al Amna flicked header a minute later but with just the Goa keeper Kattimani to beat, hit straight at him. Katsumi then missed two gilt-edged chances between the 33rd and 35th minutes and Goa got their best chance through Coro in added time, when his solo run found him in front of East Bengal goalie Ubaid, but he could not convert.

The half was highlighted by as many as four bookings, equally shared by both sides. Seriton and Edu Bedia went into referee Santhosh Bhaskaran’s book for Goa while Cavin Lobo and Gurwinder received yellow cards for East Bengal.

East Bengal continued to press hard for a goal in the second half and Dudu and Katsumi again missed at least three golden opportunities to score between them, the Nigerian being the more profligate. The deadlock was finally broken when another quality cross from the left flank by Katsumi found Dudu who tapped in past Kattimani.

While Samad Ali Mallik became the third East Bengal player to be booked, FC Goa captain Eduardo Bedia picked up his second yellow of the game for a lunge at substitute Kromah, who had come in for Dudu and Goa had to finish the game with 10-men 

on the field.