On fast track at Colva: Opinion Poll Square with portraits of 36 legends
Story: The | Goan | 12th January 2018, 02:59 Hrs
MARGAO: Ahead of the 50th anniversary of the historic Opinion Poll scheduled on January 16, the Margao Municipal Council on Wednesday rushed to name the square from Colva circle to Ravindra bhavan circle as the Opinion Poll Square.
That's not all. The Municipality also gave its nod to erect the portraits of the 36 Opinion poll legends, including Dr Jack de Sequeira and Purshotam Kakodkar, besides leading stalwarts of the anti-merger movement, all along the Square.
These decisions were approved at a special meeting of the Council chaired by Chairperson Babita Angle Prabhudesai. The Chairperson clarified that the Municipality is not effecting any change in the name of the Colva circle-Ravindra bhavan circle, which is named after Bishop Rebello, saying the Municipality is only naming the stretch as Opinion Poll Square.
Replying to a question, the Chairperson pointed out that the names of the Opinion Poll legends were approved, partly by the government and by social bodies, who were closely associated with the movement. "Before the names were shortlisted, there had been a broad consultations, irrespective of political, social and religious consideration, in order to come out with a list of genuine persons who had led the anti-merger movement", Babita said.
Incidentally, it was earlier decided to name the square from Colva circle to Ravindra bhavan circle as Asmitai enclave. However, after the TCP Minister Vijai Sardesai had an interaction with the relatives of the Opinion Poll heroes, whose portrait will be erected all along the square, it was later decided to make the entire area as Opinion Poll Square.
The Municipal Chairperson informed that the portraits of the 36 heroes and legends will be unveiled along around the square as a befitting tribute to their contribution on the occasion of the golden jubilee of the historic movement.
The Opinion Poll square will be unveiled by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in the presence of TCP Minister, the living heroes, besides relatives of the stalwarts and the people in general. In the meantime, the Municipality has also resolved to name the square facing the Pandvava Chapel at Aquem-Margao as Chandrakant Keni Square for his immense contribution during the anti-merger movement.
CM TO UNVEIL
* The Opinion Poll square will be unveiled by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in the presence of TCP Minister, the living heroes, besides relatives of the stalwarts and the people in general
*The Municipality has also resolved to name the square facing the Pandvava Chapel at Aquem-Margao as Chandrakant Keni Square
SCROLL OF HONOUR
1) Dr Jack de Sequeira 2) Purshottam Kakodkar 3) Ravindra Kelekar 4) Chandrakant Keni
5) Ulhas Buyao 6) Shabu Desai
7) Enio Pimenta 8) Dr Luiz Proto Barbosa 9) Shankar Bhandari 10) Shripad Gharse 11) Victoria Fernandes 12) Nirmala Sawant
13) Vasudev (Anna) Sarmalkar 14) Vijaibai Sarmalkar 15) Uday Bhembre 16) Erasmo de Sequeira
17) Vassudev Salgaocar 18) Urminda Lima Leitao
19) Dr Alvaro de Loyola Furtado 20) Dr Vinayak Mayekar 21) Laxmanrao Sardessai
22) CP da Costa 23) Suhasini Tendulkar 24) Teotonio Pereira
25) Janardhan Faldessai 26) Carmo Rodrigues 27) Anant Narsinh Naik alias Babu Naik 28) Narsinh Damodar Naik 29) M Boyer 30) Baburao Kerkar
31) Shantaram Mhambre 32) Dr Sebastiao Mazarelo 33) Joao Marian D'Souza 34) Orlando Sequeira Lobo35) Joaquim Araujo 36) Dr Maurilio Furtado
Babush firm on Panaji bypoll; to say ‘bye’ to Goa Forward
Says will contest as an Independent; to begin campaign from Monday Read more
All is well for now, MGP ‘buries’ rebellion hatchet
Pauskar, BABU stick to demand for another ministry & corporation, say Sudin was well aware of proposal Read more
Zuari flyover to get 2 more elevations
Underpass access for traffic to & from Dabolim airport, Verna ind estate Read more