Saturday, 19 August, 2017
Update
   Another Nigerian arrested with drugs   Four room house in Fatorda gets 44 lac electricity bill   Two-wheeler thief nabbed in Margao; five bikes seized   FDA raids continue   Casinos not an issue for the bypolls: Vijai Sardessai   Karnataka vows to keep off Mhadei construction   Moreno assures justice to Areal villagers against dust pollution   Parrikar not serious in tackling drug menace, says Mickky

Delve deeper

Govt must initiate judicial probe rninto the incident to ascertain facts

20th May 2017, 07:00 Hrs

As the search operations to locate those missing in the Curchorem bridge tragedy comes to a close, the real picture of what has happened has begun to emerge.   
The final tally remains at three, including the person who initially committed suicide, while the search has been called off as all people are believed to have been accounted for. This in itself is commendable and can only be a testament to the quick thinking and effort of the emergency services teams, which were already on the spot in response to the initial suicide report.   
Videos emerging from the scene have shown that the team on the dinghy saved a maximum number of people in the initial minutes of the bridge collapse, which went a long way in reducing the total body count from the tragedy.   
In any tragedy of such nature, it is the response in the initial minutes that makes the most difference, and in this case, it was fortunate that rescue teams were already on the scene.   
That being said, the question must now be asked is: why the bridge was being used despite it being unsafe? While the authorities have claimed that the bridge was shut for public use and was barricaded, the fact remains that it continued to be used as a footbridge for locals of the region, and the barricades, is any, were easily surmountable.   
Goa is no stranger to tragedy, with the Calvim bus incident being only a fresh memory. While it is debatable whether the disaster response could have been any better, responsibility for the incident does not and should not end there.   
It would be easy to dismiss this incident as one in which the curious onlookers paid the price for overcrowding a shaky bridge to witness the recovery of the body of a suicide 
victim.   
To get to the bottom of the matter, it is important that the state government initiates a judicial inquiry into the incident, to ascertain the facts surrounding the case as well as to affix responsibility for the tragedy.   

Related news

What about SHGs?

Before Akshay Patra steps in, govt should explain how self-help groups will be accommodated Read more

Reality check

Goa ahead in healthcare systems, focus should be on specialisation Read more

Top News

Parrikar has 'changed' and is in correction mode: Vijai Sardesai

To support his claim, GF prez cites coconut tree status and amendment to Kul and Mundkar Act Read more

Goa’s biggest drug seizure not listed in NDPS Act

Spelling an anti-climax to the largest narcotics raid in Goa's history, Italian national Vincenzo Rainone arrested in February 2015 with Rs nine crore worth drugs has been discharged after it came to light that the seized hallucinogen is not listed in the schedule of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985. Read more

Spain attacks linked, took long time to plan: police

The back-to-back vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a nearby resort had been planned for a long time by an Islamic terrorist cell and could have been far deadlier had its base not been destroyed by an apparently accidental explosion this week, Spanish officials said on Friday. Read more

New ` 50 note soon

The Reserve Bank will shortly issue new Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of RBI Governor Urjit R Patel. Read more