Newly appointed Town and Country Planning Minister Vijai Sardesai has promised to announce the way forward on the Regional Plan by next week after getting himself briefed on the work done so far by the Town and Country Planning Department.
Minister to get details from dept on work done
the goan I network
Speaking to The Goan, after Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar in his Budget speech promised to complete the process of rectification of the Regional Plan by December 31 this year, Sardesai said that the way forward would be elaborated next week.
“Next week I will be getting to know about the details and will sit through a presentation from the department after which the way forward will be decided. At the moment I do not want to make any comment,” Sardesai said.
On Friday, Manohar Parrikar informed the House that “the Regional Plan for the talukas of Sattari, Canacona and Pernem have been rectified that they are at the final stage for notification.”
“My Government desires to complete the process of all the talukas and notify the Regional Plan 2021 by December 31, 2017,” Parrikar said.
The suspense will remain until the new government makes its mind clear.
It must be remembered that the process of rectification of the Regional Plan actually began only after Manohar Parrikar was promoted to the post of Union Defence Minister and the Town and Country Planning portfolio was handed over to then deputy Chief Minister Francisco Souza.
A committee was subsequently formed and the process of rectification begun. Given that a new minister is now at the helm, doubts remain over the process begun but not completed.
The Regional Plan, which was kept on hold, by the then Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar saw repeated deadlines for its rectification come and go but no work on the plan was begun until two years ago.