Tourists burned by Thai party pyrotechnics
04th January 2017, 12:00 Hrs
Tourists attending a full moon party in southern Thailand on New Year's Eve said they were left with burns when a pyrotechnic display showered revellers with red-hot embers. Footage of the incident on the popular backpacker island of Koh Phangan was posted online, showing how cheers turned to screams of panic as a giant sign reading "Happy New Year 2017" was set alight at midnight. Sparks could be seen raining down on the crowd, aided by an onshore breeze. Eyewitnesses described mass panic as people scrambled to get out of the way of the display.
A British tourist said thousands were crammed onto the beach at the stroke of midnight, many under a sign they had no idea was about to be set alight. "My girlfriend fell to the floor, she was getting so many burns I had to cover her like a blanket," the 23-year-old said, adding he and his partner were covered in burns the next day.
Backpackers flock to Koh Phangan for its famously raucous full moon parties. But its laid-back charm belies an equally relaxed attitude to safety. Police confirmed the incident but played down tourist reports of injuries and mass panic.
Goa on two wheels
Goans and tourists alike are now hopping on to their bicycles to explore the beauty of Goa. #TGLIFE looks at this fun and healthy trend Read more
Chimbel villagers corner panchayat officials over IT park project
Allege local body has submitted a letter to government extending support to the venture Read more
Public outcry in Margao over Betalbatim rape
Citizens march to police station, demand watertight case n Govt urged to pursue right policy on tourism, migrants Read more